10 Best Rooftop Bars in San Francisco
Sit On Top of the World at the 10 Best Rooftop Bars in San Francisco
We wouldn’t blame you if you’re on the hunt for the best rooftop bars in San Francisco — we consider ourselves lucky to have easy access to all these views! Scrolling through the endless list of eateries and experiences can be a bit agonizing, so we’ve done some hunting for you and rounded up the most exciting and unique rooftop bars in San Francisco.
Whether you’re looking for a weekly night out or a memory you’ll never forget, an experience at any of the following rooftop bars in San Francisco is sure to go down in your memory banks as one of the best nights you’ve ever had.
El Techo de Lolinda
- Location: 2516 Mission Street
- Bar Hours: Monday-Thursday 4p.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday 4p.m.-12:30a.m., Saturday 11a.m.-12:30a.m., Sunday 11a.m.-10:30p.m. Happy hour Monday-Friday 4p.m.-6p.m.
- Must Try: Chicharrones de Carne and Margarita pitchers.
The atmosphere here is high energy without being overwhelming and you can’t beat the price for the food and drinks. The Chicharrones de Carne are roasted and fried chunks of pork shoulder that come in either half pound, one pound, or pound-and-a-half portions served alongside homemade tortillas, black bean puree, and escabeche. We’ll pull out our stretchy pants to enjoy some with you.
Photo Courtesy of Nastassja M, Yelp
Photo Courtesy of the Proper Hotel
- Location: San Francisco Proper Hotel, 1100 Mission Street (valet parking available)
- Hours: Sunday and Monday 3p.m.-11p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday 3p.m.-12a.m., Thursday-Saturday 3p.m.-2a.m.
- Must Try: Grilled Japanese Chicken Skewers and Kissin’ in the California Sun
The European chic energy here is mixed with the classic California vibe, and sitting 120 feet off the ground gives it one of the best panoramic views from all the rooftop bars in San Francisco. The cocktails are well thought out with carefully crafted names, and the food is known for the vibrant and full flavors that remain on the palette long after the last bite.
- Location: 620 Jones Street
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 5p.m.-12a.m., Friday 3p.m.-2a.m., Saturday 11a.m.-2a.m., Sunday 11a.m.-4p.m. Closed on Mondays
- Must Try: Grilled Peach & Burrata Salad and Don’t Go Bacon My Heart
Their list of signature and house cocktails prove it’s one of the few rooftop bars in San Francisco that also has a creative sense of humor when they create their recipes. From a bacon-washed Bulleit bourbon in the Don’t Go Bacon My Heart to the Ketel Oranje Vodka in the San-Fran-Tastic, the drinks are just as much of a reason to visit as the view!
Photo Courtesy of NC Y on Yelp
Photo Courtesy of Everdene
- Location: San Francisco Virgin Hotel, 250 4th Street, 12th Floor
- Hours: Monday 4p.m.-10p.m., Tuesday-Friday 4p.m.-1:30a.m., Saturday 2p.m.-1:30a.m., Sunday 2p.m.-8p.m.
- Must Try: Sweet Dreams Are Made of Cheese and Wrecking Ball
As with Jones, the names for the food and drinks on the menu come with plenty of puns, including the Sweet Dreams Are Made of Cheese cheese plate. The drinks come from mixologist Tommy Quimby and change seasonally, so there’s always another reason to visit. The bar itself is located inside of the San Francisco Virgin Hotel, and even though it rests on the 12th floor, it still provides incredible views of Twin Peaks and the surrounding areas.
Spirit’s in the Sky
- Location: San Francisco Loews Hotel, 222 Sansome Street, 40th Floor
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 4p.m.-8p.m. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Must Try: Crudite with Lentil Hummus and Harissa Goat Cheese and Vaya Con Dios
Since this is one of the highest rooftop bars in San Francisco, it’s an ideal place to have a cocktail while you watch the sun set over the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. The bar itself is seasonal, so make sure you double-check the hours to make sure they’re open. The Bear & Monarch is open year-round and focuses on locally sourced ingredients, so eat it up between drinks.
Photo Courtesy of Loews Regency Hotel
Photo Courtesy of Dirty Habit
- Location: Union Square’s Hotel Paloma, 12 4th Street
- Hours: Bar Monday-Saturday 5p.m-11p.m. Breakfast Monday-Friday 7a.m.-10a.m and Saturday-Sunday 7a.m.-11a.m. Dinner Monday-Saturday 5p.m.-10p.m. Dirty Hour Monday-Friday 3p.m.-5p.m.
- Must Try: Black Vinegar Glazed Lamb Ribs and Afraid of the Dark
The outdoor area feels private, and the lighting feels like you’ve stepped straight into the future. The delicately-arranged menus include breakfast, dinner, and happy hour bites, so there’s plenty of opportunity to come in and enjoy yourself. The cocktail list even has a few punch bowls to choose from — but those require at least four people to order, so be sure to call us if you need to fill in a few gaps.
Cityscape Bar and Lounge
- Location: Hilton San Francisco Union Square Tower 1, 333 O’Farrell Street
- Hours: Open nightly from 4:30.pm.-12a.m.
- Must Try: Local Cheese Board and Cityscape Exclusive: The 1919
The menu here is much more cocktail-forward than food, with just some small bites to accompany your drinks. We definitely recommend trying out their Cityscape Exclusive, which is an ode to the Hilton’s 100th anniversary that just passed in 2019.
Photo Courtesy of Cityscape Bar & Lounge
Photo Courtesy of The View Lounge
The View Lounge
- Location: San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 780 Mission Street
- Hours: Open nightly from 4.pm.-12a.m. Last call for food 10:45p.m.
- Must Try: Bourbon Marinated Octopus and a Skyline Punch
Apart from the signature drinks, The View Lounge also has one of the best wine lists out of any of the rooftop bars in San Francisco. Their focus is on showing off some of California’s finest, so choose a glass and enjoy the view that comes with it.
Top of the Mark
- Location: Intercontinental Mark Hopkins, 999 California Street
- Hours: Sunday 4:30p.m.-10p.m., Monday-Thursday 4:30p.m.-11:30p.m., Friday and Saturday 4:30p.m.-12:30a.m. Small bites served nightly from 5p.m.-10p.m, brunch on Sundays 10a.m.-1p.m.
- Must Try: Pulled Baby Back Ribs Bao Bun and Golden Gate
Like some of the other locations on this list, the Top of the Mark is also one of the rooftop bars in San Francisco that offers a Sunday brunch, which is a great choice for those looking for a good family outing. Please remember that reservations are recommended for brunches, as tables go fast — the blessing and the curse of being highly in-demand!
Photo Courtesy of Top of the Mark Bar
Photo Courtesy of B Restaurant and Bar
B Restaurant and Bar
- Location: 720 Howard Street
- Hours: Tuesday-Friday 11:30a.m.-9p.m., Saturday 12p.m.-6p.m. Happy hour 4:30p.m.-6:30p.m. daily. Closed Sundays.
- Must Try: Blistered Shishito Peppers and a Night Owl
Whiskey lovers will also feel at home here, with a solid portion of their liquor list covering the various bourbon-based choices. Apart from the welcoming ambience, there’s also a daily happy hour from 4:30p.m.-6:30p.m., and it’s voted the best in the city — more than enough reason for us to agree it’s one of the best rooftop bars in San Francisco!
Love Stretchy Pants?
Of course, we’re always happy to let loose with you and show you around! Join us for our aphrodisiacs and cocktails tour and sample some cocktails birthed in the city, learn about the ins and outs of what an aphrodisiac is, and release your inner wild child on this three-hour tour around the Castro. Let us know when you’re ready to party!
STRETCHY PANTS EXPERIENCES
Check out some of our other blogs!
Easy Easter Appetizers By Chandler HenryIt's an egg-cellent time for these easy Easter appetizers!The following easy Easter appetizer recipes are all based on the almighty, all-satisfying, versatile egg. Each recipe utilizes the power of the egg in a different way....
Things to Do This Valentine’s Day Things to Do (and Buy) This Valentine’s Day City-View Sips Where: AlamedaImagine a place where you can taste a flight of reds, learn about the terroir of gin, sip on vodka distilled from Karl the Fog, and kick back...
Healthy Dessert Recipes By Chandler Henry Time to start the new year with these Healthy Dessert Recipes! Date Tahini Balls - The On The Go One These power balls will keep you satisfied throughout the day, when you’re running out the door, or when you want a guiltless...
2019 Holiday Food Gift Idea 2019 Holiday Food Gift Ideas It’s that time of year again. Black Friday sales will soon be upon us, Friendsgivings will seem to outnumber Thanksgivings, and we’ll seem to remember all of a sudden that we forgot to start getting gifts for...
Easy Thanksgiving Recipes By Chandler Henry Get ready for the holidays with these easy Thanksgiving recipes! Thanksgiving. A time for over indulgence, over drinking, over sharing, and under buttoning - let’s be real, you’ve already got your stretchy pants laid out...
13 San Francisco Holiday Office Party Ideas you must try With the holiday season knocking on our doors, office managers and office administrators around the Bay Area are busy planning the best holiday office parties for their organizations. We’re not talking about...
Halloween Desserts Boo! Did fall sneak up on you too? The fall equinox has passed, the leaves turn to rust and gold, and pumpkin spiced everything makes way to all menus out there- it’s time for the sweet treats of fall. Halloween desserts are here...
13 of the best places to get San Francisco Sourdough It’s crispy and crunchy. It’s tangy and sour. It holds up your favorite sandwich and sops up your most-loved soup. Sourdough bread is in a league of its own, and no city is more famous for this loaf than San...
Famous San Francisco Restaurants So you want to eat at one of San Francisco’s famous restaurants. Great news! There’s a ton of iconic spots all over the city to choose from. Now, we know what you’re thinking: Stretchy Pants, how can you possibly list all of the...
Canning vegetables, ever wonder how your grandma produced the most perfect pickles or always had tomatoes on hand even in the dead of winter? Canning vegetables revolutionized preservation techniques just over a century ago, and boy are we grateful! The...